When I started the soup theme this month, my plan was to make more lentil, bean and grain soup so that I could replace my meals with them and spend lesser time in the kitchen. But I saw so many varieties of soups with different veggie combinations that I sidelined the grains and lentils and went after the veggies. So when I came across this recipe, I simply had to make it, especially since today is the penultimate day of the month long marathon.
This recipe is very similar to the Indian chole which is a regular accompaniment to rotis or puris or rice. It is a lot less spicy version and can be enjoyed with any flat bread of your choice. Mine was roti.
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
Chickpeas 1 1/2 cups
Olive oil 2 tbsp
Onion, finely chopped 1
Garlic, minced 1 tsp
Freshly ground toasted cumin 1 tsp
Chilly powder 1/2 tsp
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes, chopped 2
Vegetable stock 2 cups
Coriander leaves to garnish
WHAT TO DO
- Soak the chickpeas overnight and pressure cook them the next morning for 2-3 whistles till they are completely cooked
- Heat the oil and add the garlic and onion and saute on low flame till the onion turns soft
- Add powdered cumin and chilly powder and mix well
- Add salt and vegetable stock and 1 cup of the chickpeas and bring to a boil
- Mash the balance 1/2 cup of chickpeas with a potato masher or with your fingers to form a mushy mix
- Add the balance chickpeas to the pan and mix well
- Simmer for 12-15 minutes till the soup becomes slightly thick
- Turn off the heat and adjust seasoning, if required
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with any flatbread
This post is part of the September Mega Marathon under the theme – Soups.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68
Yes, it looks like chole and would not mind it like a soup. Moroccan chickpeas soup looks tasty and filling.
I made it once and loved it. Yours looks so inviting..
I made a similar soup called Harissa with chickpeas for last BM and loved it ! this is a superb soup, and paired with flatbreads makes a filling lunch / dinner 🙂
I agree it is a drinkable chole but love it nonetheless.
I would gladly have this soup..cholas are a favorite and this is like ..awesome..totally rocking !
Can smell the flavor of this filling soup, just love this kind of protein packed soup.
That is one filling and flavorful soup. I love chole and definitely like this.
Lets give a new name and call it as chole soup. Love this yummy soup.
I once tried this soup and totally loved it.looks so good.
the soup must be quite filling itself.
Love this Indian flavored chickpea soup. Looks sooo yummy!!
Your drnakable chole soup is yum Sowmya. I for one cannot be sure weather I should be thanful you got side tracked of happy. Happy since I have an easy reference and sad because I wll k=hav eto do my own research. 😀
Yea I have read about this on couple of blogs and always wanted to make it..good choice!