After an entire month of dosas and more dosas, I am back to my breads in October. This week’s theme for our Blogging Marathon is to pick one alphabet and blog about three dishes from three countries of that alphabet. I picked F because I thought it is quite a neglected alphabet. It is not a popular one like S or M and there are so few words starting with it. When I saw the list of countries, there were only 3 that started with F which also reduced confusion for me and I decided to do a dish from each of the three countries. Well, who am I kidding? I picked F because I want to bake another French bread. But today we will start with these delicious Finnish Rye Scones.
Why I love these Rye scones?
It is such an easy dish to make. All you need to do is mix the ingredients and bake. Then it has multiple grains and flours like oats, whole wheat and rye which gives these scones an amazing texture and bite. The ingredients are such that are easily available at home and so it is a perfect choice for a quick and healthy snack. To top it all, the scones are so crumbly and nutty with the butter and topped with all the seeds.
Recipe adapted from here
Makes 8 scones
WHAT WE NEED
60 gms Rolled oats
60 gms Rye flour
80 gms Whole wheat flour
40 gms Sugar
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
90 gms Unsalted butter
100 ml Milk
2 tbsp Flax seeds / Melon seeds / other seeds (Optional)
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 220C
- Mix the oats, rye flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl
- Add the butter, eggs and milk
- Use a whisk to bring it all together into a wet dough
- If the dough is too wet and sticky, add some flour and mix
- Grease a baking tray or line it with parchment paper
- Transfer the dough to the baking tray and spread it out in a circular shape
- Use gloves or a clean plastic cover brushed with oil to pat down the dough and shape it into a circle
- Sprinkle flaxseeds, melon seeds, etc on top and gently press it into the dough
- Cut the dough into 8 parts
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or till the top gets a nice golden brown colour
- Cool for 10 minutes
- Enjoy with butter, jam or your favorite spread!