The old saying goes – neccesity is the mother of invention. But I can’t fully agree with it. It’s not just necessity, it is necessity coupled with some amount of laziness. Like I keep saying, I miss India and more particularly Mumbai and its street food. I was used to eating bhel puri at least once a week and have been deprived of that for more than a year now. Every once in a while, I get this craving for the snack and have to figure out easy ways to eat it since I am too lazy to make the sev and papdi from scratch. One such quick hack is making bhel with the Haldiram’s lemon bhel packet. Quite a yum and easy substitute. Do try. Here goes –
WHAT WE NEED
Haldiram’s Lemon Bhel 1/2 packet
Onion, medium 1
Cherry tomatoes 8-10
Fried gram dal 2 tbsp
Dates tamarind chutney 2 tbsp
Mint coriander chutney 1 tbsp
WHAT TO DO
- Finely chop the onions and cut the cherry tomatoes into half
- In a large bowl, take the lemon bhel, onions, tomatoes, fried gram dal, chutneys and mix well
- You can add a mashed boiled potato. In that case, you may need to add some salt.
- Adjust the quantity of the two chutneys depending on your spicyness requirement. If you need a spicier version reduce the dates tamarind chutney.
- You can add peanuts and coriander leaves too
This is my entry for the Blogging Marathon under Street Food.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for other marathoners doing this BM.
That is a super quick bhel Puri. Looks so tasty..
ove this super quick fix.
Irresistible bhel puri.
Super quick bhel Puri looks delicious.
Very tempting bhel puri, love this quick version..
Using store bought bhel mix makes it so convenient to make this. I love these handy mixes for making quick snacks. Good one Sowmya.
I love chaats and just like you, I am too lazy to make everything from scratch.
That’s a quick snack..good one..