The old saying goes – neccesity is the mother of invention. But I can’t fully agree with it. It’s not just necessity, it is necessity coupled with some amount of laziness. Like I keep saying, I miss India and more particularly Mumbai and its street food. I was used to eating bhel puri at least once a week and have been deprived of that for more than a year now. Every once in a while, I get this craving for the snack and have to figure out easy ways to eat it since I am too lazy to make the sev and papdi from scratch. One such quick hack is making bhel with the Haldiram’s lemon bhel packet. Quite a yum and easy substitute. Do try. Here goes –
WHAT WE NEED
Haldiram’s Lemon Bhel 1/2 packet
Onion, medium 1
Cherry tomatoes 8-10
Fried gram dal 2 tbsp
Dates tamarind chutney 2 tbsp
Mint coriander chutney 1 tbsp
WHAT TO DO
- Finely chop the onions and cut the cherry tomatoes into half
- In a large bowl, take the lemon bhel, onions, tomatoes, fried gram dal, chutneys and mix well
- You can add a mashed boiled potato. In that case, you may need to add some salt.
- Adjust the quantity of the two chutneys depending on your spicyness requirement. If you need a spicier version reduce the dates tamarind chutney.
- You can add peanuts and coriander leaves too
This is my entry for the Blogging Marathon under Street Food.