I write this blog post mainly for two reasons –
1. Blogging Marathon time again. yay!
2. More importantly, to serve me as an eternal reminder – Never trust the Husband with grocery shopping. Like never ever!
We travel 100 kms once a month to the ‘nearest’ Indian grocery store. The scene is usually a very crowded shop that is as big as the inside of a truck. Add a usually hungry two year old to the mix and you have pure chaos! To save time, we split the shopping list and on the husband’s share of the list, I wrote – instant gulab jamun mix – 1 pkt. Yup! My mistake. I assumed when you live in a 2 adult household and you need to buy instant gulab jamun mix, you would choose the smaller one. Nah! He chooses the 500 gms packet that makes a 100 Gulab Jamuns. Like 100 of them.
Ever since, I had dreams of crater size gulab jamuns chasing me. 100 of them.
Finally, it hit me. Muffins! So here goes –
WHAT WE NEED (for 9 muffins)
Gulab Jamun Mix – 1 Cup
Bananas 1- 1 1/2 large ripe
Curds / Yogurt. 1/4 Cup
Oil 3 tbsp
Baking powder 1tsp
Baking Soda. 1/2 tsp
Sugar 1/2 Cup
Butterscotch chips – as you wish / totally optional
WHAT TO DO
- Mash the bananas thoroughly. If they are really ripe,nit should be a breeze
- Mix the mashed bananas with oil and curds. Keep aside
- Mix the gulab jamun mix, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients
- Add the butterscotch chips, if you are using them, at this point.
- Pour into a greased muffin tray.
- Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes till the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- My muffins did not rise up. I guess I will have to tweak the recipe a bit. Except for that, they were soft and delicious with a good banana flavour.
- I added the butterscotch chips just because they were at hand and I wanted to use them up too. It’s totally optional though recommended.
My dreams are a lot less scary now. Peace!