My mother has been consistently asking me to make this Ulundhu Sadam for my daughter and me. According to her, Ulundhu or black gram is a superfood and essential for immunity and nourishment of girls and women. Of course being the typical daughter, I have ignored her for a long time. I figured this mega marathon can be a good opportunity to prove my credentials as a good daughter. I realized I did not have cashews to garnish the rice and so decided on the next best thing, macadamia. Yum, if i may say so myself. So I am definitely making it again.
Recipe from here
WHAT WE NEED
3/4 cup Rice
1/4 cup Ulundu / Urad dal / Black gram, skinless
3-4 Garlic cloves
1 sprig curry leaves
2 tsp Oil
1 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tbsp Grated coconut
1 tsp Ghee
4-8 Macademia nuts / Cashewnuts
WHAT TO DO
- Heat a pan and dry roast the rice till it is hot to touch
- Set the rice aside and in the same pan fry the urad dal till it is hot to touch
- Transfer the rice and urad dal to a pressure cooker
- Chop and add the garlic cloves, curry leaves, salt and 2 cup water
- Cook for 4 whistles and set aside the cooker for the pressure to settle
- In a small pan, heat the oil and add cumin seeds, asofoetida powder and coconut
- Fry for a minute and pour it on the cooked rice
- In the same pan, add ghee and fry the macadamia nuts or cashewnuts and garnish on top of the rice
- Serve warm with chutney or thokku or thogayal of your choice
This is my post for the Biryani/ Pulao / Khichadi for the alphabet ‘U’
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#99
This looks very nutritious Sowmya. No wonder your mom told you to make it.
This version of ulundhu saadam sounds so much easier and looks absolutely yum. That macadamia nuts topping is a nice touch.
We make urad dal laddus in Andhra for the same reason. Your version urad dal rice sounds quite flavorful.
Ulundhu is something I am also trying to feed the kids here. this is yummy and differnt from the Ulundogarai I make following my pati’s recipe ! the nuts are such a delight to find here !
This is really healthy… I see so many Urad Dal recipes for the day..so innovative..
This marathon has made me go deeper into the South Indian rice varieties . This rice with gram sounds not only nutritious , but equally flavourful . Bookmarking to try soon .
Wow! I have never tasted urad dal rice. Sounds so healthy and flavorful. Shall try it out soon.
Wow so many variety dishes with Udad dal. Looks delicious.
Interesting to see that you have added it as such, I have only done it with powder. We also include Urad dal as sunnundalu so thats a good way to include too..
Same pinch. I made ulundhu sadham too but with black urad dal. Need to try with white ones as well. Good one.
Never tried urad dal in rice but this combination looks interesting. Beautiful pic
We make Urad dal Khichdi using this lentil.. YOur version sounds quite interesting and easy with the nutty coconut and cashew nuts in it.