You could think why I’m displaying this sudden burst of excess love for my mother’s recipe.simple! She is due to visit next month and I need all the practice I can get.
Today I tried making theratipal after ages – the first time since I moved to Malaysia.
The best part about making this one is that you can ignore it for a long time and it will still turn out good.
All you need is a LARGE vessel. I usually put it on the gas just before I start making the day’s meals. with a glance here and a stir there, it is ready for me by the time I finish making lunch and have time for it.
So here goes –
WHAT WE NEED
Milk 1 litre
Sugar 6-8 tbsp
Yup, that’s it!!!
WHAT TO DO
- Pour the milk in that LARGE vessel ie a vessel that can otherwise take in 4-5 liters of milk
- Switch on the gas at medium -low flame
- Once the milk reaches boiling point, reduce the gas to low and stir the milk
- Run the ladle on the side of the vessel to release any cream stuck on it.
- Keep stirring every now and then
- Once the milk reduces to half of the original quantity, stir more frequently
- Once it starts thickening, add the sugar and stir it in
- Once the sugar is added, keep stirring without a break.
- It will thicken and come together nicely though still semi solid.
- Switch off the gas and let it remain for another 10-15 minutes
- Once it thickens transfer it to another container
- This is how the vessel should look if you have stirred it right – nothing stuck to the bottom of the vessel.
- Grab a spoon and have a go!
- I needed only 6 tbsp of sugar when I used to make it in India but here I needed 8 tbsp. So I suggest you try with 6 tbsp first and if it doesn’t work out you can increase the sugar levels.
- One of the drawbacks of theratipal is that you get a very small quantity of the sweet from the one liter of milk. Lesser the quantity, more the thickening of the milk will lead to a yummier sweet but very less quantity. The key is to balance the quantity and Yumm factor. So it would be ideal to add the sugar once the milk is reduced to half its quantity.
- The ideal colour for theratipal is white just like the milk. I used to achieve it quite easily back in Bangalore but it eluded me this time 😢 Fingers crossed for my next attempt.
- The longer it stays in the vessel the harder it will get. You can switch off the gas when it is in semi solid state and let it remain in the vessel for another 10-15 minutes. If you like it harder then leave it on for another 15 minutes. Keep checking every 7-8 minutes to see if it had reached your desired consistency.
This is my entry for the Cooking from Cookbook Challenge hosted by Srivalli
That is a yummy yummy dessert. My mom used to make it while we were little, I never made it because it seems too much work for the small output 🙂 Yours looks so delicious.
Yummy and mouthwatering Theratipal.
I am sure all that efforts paid off, even though you can tend to forget the pan, you will end up with a yummy dish right..good one..hope you are geared for your mom’s visit..