There are multiple ways to eat spinach but few match the warm spinach soup on a cold day. Bangalore has an enviable chilly weather now which is just perfect to make yourself a soup irrespective of the time of day. Take a large bowl of this spinach soup with some bread for lunch or dinner.
I don’t have very happy memories of spinach because I was mildly anaemic for a brief period during my teenage years. My over cautious mom fed me so much spinach that I was sure I had green blood.
This recipe works well for two medium bowls of soup and can be easily doubled or halved.
If you are a soup person like I am then you are at the perfect place. If there are any recipes I have as many as bread recipes, are soup recipes. Click here for some easy and fun soups. Any vegetable that is overstaying it’s welcome in your refrigerator, I have a soup for it!
- 150-200 gms Spinach
- 1 tbsp Olive oil / any other cooking oil
- 1 Onion, medium sized
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- 1.5-2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds, dry roasted
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cream, to garnish Optional
- Remove the stems of the spinach and wash the leaves thoroughly. Chop them and set aside
- Chop the Onion and garlic and set aside
- Heat the oil and add the onion and garlic and fry till the onion turns translucent
- Add the spinach, salt and pepper and fry for a couple of minutes
- Add 1.5 cups water and let it come to a boil
- Let the spinach mix cool and then blend it to a smooth puree
- Return the spinach mix to the stove top and let it simmer
- Mix the gram flour with 2 tbsp water ensuring there are no lumps. Add this to the spinach mix
- Let it simmer for 4-5 minutes. If the soup gets too thick add water to get it to desired consistency
- Garnish with a little cream and have it warm