Like every year, I made a resolution to lose some weight in 2016 too and not surprisingly I have hardly done anything about it till date. But I figured that the least I could do was not put on some more. Hence the attempt to make jaggery based sweets instead of sugar based. Jaggery is definitely healthier and good for the kid as well.
Recipe source – Adapted from here
Serves 3-4 people
WHAT WE NEED
Broken wheat 1/3 cup
Split moong dal 2 tbsp
Ghee / clarified butter 1-2 tsp
Jaggery 1 cup
Cashewnuts, broken 8-10
Coconut, grated 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder 1 tsp
Milk 1 – 1 1/2 cup
WHAT TO DO
- Dry roast the broken wheat till it is hot to touch
- Dry roast the split moong dal till you get the aroma
- Mix the two and pressure cook it with one cup of water for 3 whistles.
- In a pan, heat 1 tsp ghee and fry the cashew nuts. Set aside.
- With the other tsp of ghee, fry the raisins and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the jaggery and let it melt completely.
- Once it starts thickening, mash and add the cooked dal and mix well.
- Add the coconut and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Cook on medium flame for around 6-8 minutes till the two come together.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once the mixture reaches room temperature, add one cup of milk and mix well.
- Ensure the milk is also at room temperature, else it could curdle.
- Warm it on the gas for 2-3 minutes till the milk is mixed well with the jaggery mixture.
- Add the cashewnuts and raisins and switch off the gas.
- The quantity of milk depends on the consistency and sweeteness you seek. Add one cup of milk, taste it and if needed add some more.
This is my entry for the Blogging Marathon under – Indian Sweets.