The daughter loves scones and so do I. It reminds me of the endless stories from my childhood when I read Enid Blyton tales with secret picnics, afternoon teas and midnight feasts and almost everyone of them having scones on the menu. As a child I was so curious about what scones are and how they taste. So now I love making them because it awakens the child in me briefly and it is super easy to make for a quick snack or an addition to the breakfast table.
I have resolved to make eggless dishes henceforth in this new house. I am not sure how long I will be able to keep it up but the plan is to make a sincere effort. So I picked this eggless scone recipe which is quick, easy and delicious.
Adapted from here
Makes 6 scones
WHAT WE NEED
3/4 cup All purpose flour
1/4 cup Whole wheat flour
1/4 cup +2 tbsp Buttermilk
75 gms Butter, chilled
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp heaped Baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Mixed dried herbs of your choice (I used garlic bread seasoning)
2-3 tsp Milk for brushing the dough
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Add all the dry ingredients – all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and herbed seasoning to a bowl
- Cut the butter into small cubes
- Mix the butter into the flour with your hands gently without letting it melt
- The mixture should resemble the texture of breadcrumbs
- Add the buttermilk and bring the dough together
- Spread it out in a circular shape and cut into 6 pieces
- You can either use a cookie cutter to cut into your favorite shape or a knife to slice like a pizza
- Place them on a greased baking tray or one lined with parchment paper
- Brush the scones with some milk
- Bake for 15 minutes or till the top is slightly brown
- Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm
Sending this to Srivalli’s Kid’s Delight event, guest hosted by me themed on Savory Bakes
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM
scones are on my to do list..looking at these, I feel its high time i tried. Awesome …The scones look lovely.
When the technique is right, scones are the easiest of bakes. You have made them perfect. I could see the flaky texture in the photo. Yum.
The scones look perfectly baked and with herbs it would be perfect for my morning breakfast with a cup of tea
Scones looks so delicious. I need to try them soon.