This eggless banana bread holds a special place in my heart because it was the first dish I baked. Also because it was the first one to taste so awesome and delicious. The best part of this recipe is that it is very easy and more importantly very forgiving. I have tried variations and substitutions but it has always come through for me.
Why I love this Eggless Banana Bread?
As I said I am very sentimental about this particular dish and recipe because it was my first bake. Trust me, it is such a forgiving recipe. I have messed up in multiple ways with it but every time it would turn into a delicious fudge banana bread. I want to post a disclaimer as well here. You will see that this recipe has no liquid. So it has lots and lots of butter and sugar. If you want a light fluffy banana bread then do not try this. This is a fudgy, rich and sweet banana bread, be warned!
Substitutions and Variations
- Yes, you can substitute the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour. It works well with both flours. In fact, this is an ideal recipe for whole wheat flour because we are not looking for a light and airy texture.
- The number of bananas depend on its size and sweetness. I usually add 4-5 small bananas or 1-2 big bananas. It is essential for the bananas to be overripe.
- The recipe is for a simple banana bread. You can add nutmeg, cinnamon, raisins or walnuts to this recipe. Add it at the time when you add the bananas. They all work very well.
- As per the original recipe the butter and sugar need to be creamed till they are light and fluffy. I have found, over multiple attempts that even if it is not creamed but just mixed thoroughly the bread turns out fine.
- The mixture before baking will be like that of a dough. Since we are not using any liquids the end result is a dough like consistency.
- It is possible that the shape of the banana bread does not hold after baking. Refrigerate it for 1-2 hours and then it will hold shape beautifully and you can easily slice it.
You can check out some other banana breads that I have posted – Banana bread with eggs, Sourdough and Zucchini Banana Bread. If you are looking for other banana recipes check out this Banana Dosai and Banana Flittas.
Eggless Banana Bread
- OTG or MIcrowave Oven to bake
- 200 gms All purpose flour
- 150 gms Sugar
- 115 gms Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 Bananas, large, overripe Or 4-5 small bananas
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon / Nutmeg / Raisins / Walnuts/ Chocochips Optional
- Preheat the oven to 165C
- Mash the bananas well with fork or your hands and ensure no lumps remain
- Cream the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes with a hand mixture. It should become a soft mixture
- Add the flour, baking soda and bananas to the butter mixture and combine well to form a dough
- If you are adding any nuts, spices or raisins, add it along with the flour
- Grease a 7*3 or 8*3 loaf tin and line it with parchment
- Transfer the dough to the tin and spread it to reach all corners
- Bake for 50 minutes at 160C or till the toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Cool for 10 minutes in the loaf tin and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
- If the loaf is too soft after it comes to room temperature then refrigerate it for 1-2 hours and then slice
I am sending this to Bakeathon by Srivalli.