My cookie run is not done yet. We finally stepped out for a road trip to Chennai. This is our first trip outside Bangalore to visit my in-laws. So can a daughter-in-law really go without some goodies in the bag? I have to tell you that these chocolate cookies were perfect for them and everyone loved it a lot. These were consumed very quickly and I was sweetly reprimanded for not getting more. So, a success I would say!
Key points for making these awesome chocolate cookies
I got this recipe from Pavani’s blog and I can’t thank her enough for them. This recipe is an absolute keeper. She made them crescent shaped but I did not have a crescent shaped cookie cutter. So I had to settle for the regular round ones. Any shape will do really. All that matters is that they are all the same size to bake evenly.
You can either make these cookies soft or crisp. Since I was making them for my in-laws who prefer softer ones, that is what I did. I rolled out the dough a bit thicker and so the cookies turned out softer. If you want them to be crisp then roll out the dough to around 1/4″ inch thickness and keep an eye on them. If you are a newbie baker, I would recommend baking them a little thicker because thinner cookies will bake faster and can also burn quicker.
I have simply dipped these cookies half into melted chocolate. You can also add some colourful vermicelli or other edible glitter to fancy up these cookies. If you love chocolate, then you can also dip the entire cookie in chocolate. Just use double the melted chocolate compared to that I have used.
Chocolate dipped cookies
- OTG or MIcrowave Oven to bake
- 113 gms Butter (Salted or unsalted)
- 75 gms Confectioner's Sugar / Icing Sugar
- 30 gms Milk powder
- 200 gms All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
For the Chocolate
- 80-100 gms Chocolate, melted
- 1-2 tsp Butter / Oil / Shortening
- Preheat the oven to 175C
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or grease it with oil or butter
- Cream butter and sugar together in a bowl till the mixture is soft and fluffy
- Add the milk powder and mix to combine
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix well to form a smooth dough. If the dough is dry add milk, 1 tsp at a time.
- Roll out the dough on a greased surface to 1/4" or thicker (depending on if you want the cookies crisp or soft).
- Use your favourite cookie cutter and cut the dough into as many cookies and transfer them to the baking tray. Re-roll the balance dough scraps and cut them into cookies till the entire dough is cut into cookie shapes
- Transfer the baking tray to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes till the sides are light brown
- Cool the cookies on the tray for 10 minutes and then on a wire rack till they are completely cool
- Melt the chocolate and butter completely in the microwave oven or by double boiler method.
- Once the cookies are cooled and the melted chocolate is warm, dip the cookies in the chocolate and set them on a wire rack.
- Once the chocolate sets the cookies can be eaten or stored or gifted