So I have been having a good run at home what with baking more breads (especially this cheese bread) as compared to cookies or cake. But I will soon be caught out by the family and made to bake something sweet. I do not understand the love for sweet treats. I can happily live the rest of my life without cakes or pastries though I do love a gulab jamun or carrot halwa along the way. Sweets, especially baked ones do not tempt me. On the other hand you put a cheese bread or any bread for that matter or a packet of chips and I will finish it all up in one gobble. But the husband and daughter have 32 sweet teeth and that is how life is balanced I guess.
Why I like this bread?
This cheese bread is a fabulous braided bread. It looks pretty and tastes amazing. I stuff the bread with cheddar cheese and mixed herbs which makes it a perfect snack or breakfast or actually an anytime eat. I used cheddar but I am thinking a sharper cheese would have resulted in a tastier loaf. It is a lovely option for serving as a snack with tea. Since it is cheese bread adults and kids will both enjoy it. You can modify the seasonings to suit your tastebuds. I am thinking of adding some garlic or onion powder the next time I make it. Or maybe some Indian seasoning will also add a zing to the bread. A dash of garam masala or some sambhar powder should work wonderfully for people who like the idea of bread but just cannot manage unfamiliar flavours.
For other similar braided breads, check out Challah, Estonian Kringle and Insalata Caprese Loaf
Recipe adapted from here
- OTG or MIcrowave Oven to bake
- 400 gms All purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp Instant yeast
- 2 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Water
- 70 gms Milk
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 28 gms Butter
- 120 gms Cheese, any type shredded
- 2 tbsp Mixed dried herbs
- Mix the milk and vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes
- Add the flour, yeast, sugar, salt in a large bowl and mix togetherAdd the water, milk and butter
- Knead all the ingredients in the bowl to come together to make a smooth soft dough, around 12-15 minutes by hand
- Rest the dough in the bowl and cover it till it doubles in volume. This should take around one hour at 27-32C temperature
- Grease an 8 inch loaf tin and set aside
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll it out into an 10*16 inch rectangle.Sprinkle the cheese and mixed herbs on the dough and roll it into a tube on the shorter side of the rectangle. Pinch the ends to seal the dough
- Cut the dough vertically leaving only a small part of it still together so that it looks like the two parts are branching out from the same end of the doughBraid the two parts in such a way that the open side faces upwards
- Transfer the dough to the loaf tin and let it rest for around 35-40 minutes till the dough reaches the top of the loaf tin
- Preheat the oven at 175C
- Bake the loaf for 45-50 minutes till the top is golden brownIf the top starts browning earlier then cover it with foil to ensure the inside of the bread bakes completely
- Cool the loaf in the tin for 5 minutes and then demould it. Cool it on the cooling rack for an hour till it reaches room temperature
- The loaf can remain at room temperature upto 24C for 2 days. Else refrigerate it and warm before serving
PIN IT FOR LATER
Check out the other bloggers doing this Bake-a-thon
Wow, cheese bread looks absolutely incredible. Wish i get few slices of this bread especially i love that dry herbs addition. Beautiful bread there.
The bread look real rustic and with cheese , it must be a flavour to die for . Feel like grabbing it from the screen .
Beautifully braided cheese bread Sowmya. This would make an amazing centre piece on a festive day.
That bread look so pretty and definitely that cheese and herbs makes it even more tempting…
Till I learn (from you ) on how to bake on how to dish out such perfectly turned out breads, I will continue to ogle at them ! Classic , rustic look of the bread is so inviting !
I should try this! I always plan to make some yeast breads but skip it because of laziness.
That is such a pretty looking bread AND it has cheese – LOVE it. I think my family would really enjoy this one. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Perfectly braided cheese bread,would love to have few slices.
The Cheese and toppings is definitely a winner.. Such a beautiful crumb and you have made it so beautiful..
OMG Sowmya this one is so tempting me, which other cheese do you suggest?..I have only cheddar myself..so sinful and inviting…this is really bread therapy yaar!
If you have only cheddar then you can add some spice powder to pack a punch in the bread. Happy baking!
what a gorgeous looking loaf and I am sure it tastes as good as it looks!
What a beautiful bake!! I loved the color of the bread so nicely it has come out, must be so full of flavours and aroma of herbs!!
This I am bookmarking to bake for my son. He loves cheese and he loves bread and this bread looks too good.
oh yumm sowmya, that is oneperfectly done braid!!! color on top is sooo gorgeous!!!
The braided bread looks fabulous. Cheese must have added great flavor to it.
Love the beautiful braiding you have done to the bread and with cheese and herbs , it would have sure tasted yum.
The variations in the braided crust looks awesome. Lovely golden brown bake.
Braided cheese bread looks so beautiful and delicious with a golden crust.
Beautiful bread Sowmya…..This cheese and herbed bread must have tasted awesome, I’m sure of that.