My usual mantra is ‘if there is broccoli in the dish, then I love it’. Love at first taste happened about 15 years ago at Mainland China when I slurped on broccoli soup and I have been hooked ever since.
Everytime I buy broccoli, I plan to make a soup but invariably there is pasta or pulao night when I don’t have sufficient veggies and my broccoli is sacrificed at the altar. When is a better time than Soup month to fulfill my slurpy dreams? I found this wonderful recipe with broccoli and almond. My version has more broccoli and less almond but is a blissful experience for sure. So here goes –
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
Olive oil 2 tbsp
Garlic 4 pods
Onion, large 1
Broccoli 1 large head
Vegetable stock 2-2 1/2 cups
Salt & Pepper
WHAT TO DO
- Soak the almonds in water for about 15 minutes till the skin loosens itself.
- Peel the skin off and toast it lightly till it starts browning. Set aside a
- Heat oil in a saucepan
- Chop and add garlic and onion and fry for a minute or two
- Discard the large stem from the broccoli and break the rest into large florets
- Add the broccoli to the saucepan and cook for about 5 minutes
- Add the vegetable stock and salt and bring it to a boil
- Then simmer and cook till the broccoli is fork tender. It shoul take around 10 minutes
- Add the almonds after keep aside one or two for garnish and cook for about 5 minutes
- Let it cool slightly and puree the mixture into a smooth soup
- Check and adjust for salt and add pepper
- Garnish with the remaining almonds
This is my post for the mega marathon under the theme – Soups.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68
Oh poor broccoli and poor you!! 😊. Finally your dream is fulfilled!! Jokes apart, soup looks delicious and it is a healthy one as well!!
Very nutritious soup. With almonds in there, it must have tasted awesome..
That’s a creamy delicious soup. Should try adding almonds.
Using almonds in the soup is such a lovely choice. Increases the flavor of the soup.
Such a rich and creamy soup,looks so delicious..
With almonds there, the soup sounds creamy. My kids love broccoli in any form and I am sure they will love this soup too.
One of the best way to sneak broccoli, adding almonds sounds very healthy as well, beautiful bowl of soup.
Ha ha finally you got the broccoli in the soup. Love it and glad that you enjoyed it.
Adding almonds to broccoli soup is such a wonderful idea! Loved this version 🙂
This is one of the most exotic soups and is served for most parties..but can any one beat you..very well made.
Beautiful color and i too love broccoli. With almonds it must have tasted yummilicious!
No doubt it must be blissful…I’m not a broccoli lover, but with almonds it must have tasted wondrous.
oh yes !! love this .. bring this on by the bowlful and it will be gone soon – fav with the kids and myself too 🙂
My daughter is a big fan of broccoli just like you. Broccoli and almond soup looks delish.