We can’t have a soup theme and not make beetroot soup. I was contemplating the popular Borscht Soup but due to many reasons (mostly laziness) I decided against it, at least for now. I love to eat beetroot but making it not my favorite task. It gets its colour all over my kitchen which sports a bloodied look after any beetroot dish attempt. I spend more time cleaning than actually cooking. But a beet is a beet is a beet and it simply has to be made. The rich, smooth soup is irresistible to say the least.
This recipe is an easy one which neither requires grating nor dicing the beet. It needs to be pressure cooked as a whole and then peeled and blended. Easy, right? Technically, this is beetroot puree plus white sauce but practically it is a creamy, flavourful broth that should not be missed. The recipe was adapted from here.
Variations and Substitutions
We can add some carrots along with the beetroot to get more flavour. If you like a bit of heat in your soup then you can add red chilly powder or grind one red chilly along with the beetroot.
Additionally, spinach puree with the white sauce can also work very well together to make a variation of the spinach soup.
I use all purpose flour to make the white sauce but it can be substituted with wheat flour as well.
If you like soups then you are at the perfect place. Check out my other soup recipes here for more such delicious and easy soups.
- 1 Pressure cooker
- 1 Blender
- 300-400 gms Beetroot 2-3 medium sized
- 1 tbsp Butter Salted / unsalted
- 1 tbsp All purpose flour / whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Milk full cream / toned
- 1 tbsp Cream for garnish
- Salt & Pepper
- Wash the beetroots thoroughly and pressure cook for 5 whistles in a 2 or 3 lt pressure cooker
- Once the steam has completely escaped, open the cooker, peel the beetroot and cut them into small cubes. Set aside to cool
- Once cooled, blend the beetroot pieces in a blender with a little water to a smooth consistency
- Heat a pan and add butter. Once the butter melts, add the flour
- Whisk the two repeatedly to form a sand like consistency
- Add the milk and beetroot puree and whisk well to avoid any lumps. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper and simmer for another 2-3 minutes
- Turn off the heat. Garnish with cream and serve hot