The final dish for this week’s theme of Global Cuisine is this beautiful Basil & Garlic Focaccia. It is one of the most popular breads of Italy and has undergone so many changes over the years. The traditional focaccia does not have any toppings or has minimal toppings with the most popular one being onion and rosemary. But over the years it has been transformed to have stuffings, multiple toppings, cheese, etc.
Why I like this bread?
It is a single rise focaccia and so quick to make. I love the addition of dried basil in the dough which gives the focaccia a lovely flavour. The most lovely reason of it all is the topping of mozzarella to give it a cheesy finish and its golden brown colour. The daughter and husband loved it and so that is the best reason to make it again.
For more Italian bread check out Potato Pizza, Bruschetta and also these crunchy Grissini
Recipe adapted from here
Makes one 7″ loaf
WHAT WE NEED
For the dough
185 gms All purpose flour
3 gms Instant yeast
1/2 tsp Salt
Pinch of sugar
1 tbsp Dried basil
2 tbsp Olive oil
1/2 cup Warm water
For the toppings
5-6 Pitted olives, chopped
3-4 Garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbsp Mozzarella, shredded
WHAT TO DO
- Mix the flour, yeast, salt, sugar, 1 tbsp oil and dried basil in a bowl
- Add water and knead into a smooth dough
- Cover the dough and set aside till it doubles in volume, around 1 hour
- Preheat the dough to 220C
- Grease a baking tray with oil
- Spread the dough on the baking tray and spread it to the edges
- If the dough resists, then wait for 5 minutes and then spread it again
- Make indentations in the dough with your fingertips
- Pour the balance 1 tbsp oil on the dough
- Spread out the chopped garlic and olives on the dough
- Top the garlic and olives with the grated cheese
- Bake for 12-15 minutes till the top is golden brown
- If the focaccia does not get the golden brown colour then broil for a minute or so
- Serve warm
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM
What a lovely focaccia recipe. Sounds flavorful with the addition of basil, garlic and olives. Looks yumm!!
Reading the name of this bread itself makes me drool. Both garlic and basil are my favourite. And no need to say about the flavour of this bread na.. Well done Sowmya.
That is a beautiful loaf of focaccia. The cheese topped one looks amazing and it must taste absolutely yum.
That’s a fantastic bread Sowmya, I love focaccia in the way it resembles pizza but so much more so flavoursome!
As usual your breads are so tempting! This foccacia is just perfect for a breakfast or dinner.
This came out beautifully, it makes a perfect snack with tea or coffee specially in winters.