I have been eating a lot of fried dishes this year and I truly hope I am not alone in that. At some point I did feel guilty about it and decided to reduce the oil in my diet. Since the oven is my favourite accessory in the kitchen I baked quite a few dishes that I did not otherwise do. One of our favourite dishes is this baked sweet potato fries. It is quick and easy and healthier in comparison to other regular chips and fries.
Why are these baked Sweet Potato fries awesome
I am sure everyone knows about how awesome sweet potato is for us. It is almost completely made up of Vitamin A. So it is a great vegetable to add to our diets for kids and adults alike.
My daughter loves these fries because it reminds her of French fries. I also love this substitution because it is healthier for her. It is easy and quick to make. I cut the sweet potato into fingers and put them in the oven. Then, as I make the rest of the dishes for lunch, I keep an eye on these giving them a shake every now and then. It is warm and ready in perfect time for lunch. I must admit it disappears within minutes because we all greedily grab a handful.
You can add the spices and flavours of your choice and make it unique to you. I love to add some red chilly powder and chaat masala. You can customise it with your favourite blend of spices and it will surely be a flavour bomb.
If you like your fries crispy then I suggest you cut them into smaller sizes. Do not get it too thin because it then runs the risk of over baking and will turn black pretty quickly.
Sweet Potato Fries
- OTG or MIcrowave Oven to bake
- 400 gms Sweet potato
- 1-2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Paprika / Red chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp Chaat masala
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Peel the sweet potato and cut them into finger length pieces 1" thick
- Add the oil, paprika, chaat masala and salt and toss them all together
- Arrange the sweet potato fingers on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Spread them around to ensure they don't crowd around.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then flip the fries over to ensure even baking on all sides. Bake again for 15-20 minutes till it is nicely brown
- Serve the fries warm with your favorite dip