Finally the cake is done, cut and eaten and I can pack up my cake fears and store it away until next year. I was worried the entire day about what the husband would think about the cake, if he would like it or not. The problem is that if he likes the cake, he would say, ‘you bake so well. You should do it more often’ and if he doesn’t he would say, ‘you had to bake just one cake in the entire year and you could still not get it right?’ It is like being between the devil and the ….well, devil. I was so frightened of frosting that I finished innumerable long pending activities in a bid to postpone the frosting. Finally I started frosting just an hour before the husband was due to arrive and finished it in time.
He was so surprised seeing the cake that he couldn’t say a word. I like that!
I am terrified of eggless cakes. It is either a jinx or I am doing some humongous error each time because they never ever turn out good. When I told my parents about my annual cake baking adventure, they suddenly professed a desire to taste some of it. Since I am off to visit them tomorrow, I figured I had to take some over for them. But they don’t eat eggs and the only thing I am more scared of than baking eggless cakes is offering them to my perfectionist mom. Then when I baked my usual egg version of the cake, it turned out to be a disaster. It tasted really good but surprisingly the structure was off. Then I luckily landed on a eggless cake recipe which to my absolute shock, turned out really good. So yay for me! I got to eat a lot of cake because of this entire chaos and I got a decent enough cake for the husband to cut and celebrate his birthday.
Now on to the real dish of this post -these a,axing lemon flavoured chia seed cookies. I made them quite big and eating one was quite a task and the daughter finished half with significant effort. So if you want, you could make smaller ones for it to be more manageable. But otherwise this is an amazing cookie recipe. It was a vegan recipe which I adapted to my requirements. I used yogurt instead of applesauce and buckwheat flour instead of almond flour to keep it protein rich. I absolutely loved the coconut oil flavour and fragrance from the cookies. This is a one bowl recipe and so it is as easy as it is chewy and flavorful.
I have been telling you too many stories today. Off to the recipe now –
Protein – Chia seeds, Buckwheat flour
Recipe adapted from here
Makes 10 large cookies
WHAT WE NEED
Lemon zest 1 tbsp
Lemon juice 2 tbsp
Yogurt 3 tbsp
Chia seeds 2 tbsp
Semi solid coconut oil 3 tbsp
Sugar 1/3 cup
Buckwheat flour 1/4 cup
All purpose flour 1 cup
Baking powder 1 tsp
Salt 1/8 tsp
Sugar & salt for coating
WHAT TO DO
- Mix the lemon zest, lemon juice, yogurt, coconut oil, chia seeds and sugar in a bowl till the sugar dissolves
- Set it aside for 2 minutes
- Add the buckwheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and salt and mix well to form a dough
- The dough needs to be soft. If it is too sticky, add 1 tbsp of flour. If it is too dry then add few drops of oil or water and mix
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 175C
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Mix 1 tbsp of sugar and a generous pinch of salt in a plate
- Take out the dough from the refrigerator
- Take a small pinch of dough and roll it into a smooth ball
- Roll the ball in the plate mixed with sugar and salt
- Place it on the baking tray and press it down so that it is flat
- These cookies don’t spread much and so you don’t need to leave too much space between 2 cookies on the baking tray
- Bake for 10-11 minutes and cool for 10 minutes
- Store at room temperature for 2 days
- Enjoy them with some milk!
- The buckwheat flour can be replaced with almond flour, wholewheat flour or all purpose flour
- Buckwheat flour tends to absorb more moisture making the dough a little dry. If you are not using buckwheat then reduce the yogurt to 2 tbsp
- You can add a pinch of turmeric to get the yellow colour
- Semi solid coconut oil is when the coconut oil starts solidifying during cooler weather and is not easy flowing liquid