This bread is a big check on my bucket list of breads to bake. I have wanted to bake the Pullman loaf for the longest time and the search for the loaf pan took forever. Finally I could lay my hands on a cool loaf tin with a lid and I immediately set off to bake this one. I have baked in thrice in the last week, with white flour, with wheat flour and a seeded version. I think I might finally be getting closer to my goal of not buying bread and having it all homemade.
The Pullman loaf was developed by the Pullman company to be baked in a compact kitchen and so that it can be stacked in the minimum possible place. It is baked in a loaf tin with a lid that is slid on the tin to ensure that the bread retains its rectangular shape and does not rise unequally.
Recipe adapted from ‘The New Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes’
Makes one 9*4 loaf
WHAT WE NEED
455 gms All purpose flour
340 gms Lukewarm Water
5 gms Instant yeast
10 gms Salt
WHAT TO DO
- Mix all the ingredients together and ensure there is no dry flour left
- Let it rise till it is doubles and then collapse a little. It should take around 2 hours
- It can immediately be used but the dough is easier to handle if refrigerated for 2-3 hours
- Grease a 9*4 Pullman loaf tin and the lid with butter or oil
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface
- Dust the dough with a little flour and shape it into a ball by stretching the dough on each of the four sides to the bottom
- Extend the ball to an oval shape and drop it into the loaf tin. The dough should come up to 3/4 of the tin
- Close the lid and let the dough rise for 1 hour 45 minutes
- Preheat the dough to 250C
- Bake for 45 minutes and then take off the lid to bake for 10 minutes
- Remove the loaf from the loaf tin and let it cool completely before cutting it into slices
- I also tried this recipe with 300 gms All purpose flour and 155 gms whole wheat flour and it worked beautifully
- I also sprinkled some sunflower and melon seeds on top after transferring the dough to the loaf tin.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2017