As I continue to bemoan the summer, I have another summer cooler today which is a huge relief from the heat. Panagam is a jaggery, lemon and ginger drink which is an instant refresher and easily made at home. Usually we make Panagam for Ram Navami but I love this one and so I continue to make it even during summer. I buy a fresh packet of jaggery for the Tamil New Year which is in April to make manga pachadi (raw mango and jaggery dip). Then I use the balance jaggery to make this panagam and chill out.
I recently discovered that people also add pepper to this drink. I am not sure why but my mother has never added it and so neither do I. I use organic jaggery less for health reasons and more for my lazy reasons. Organic jaggery is soft and can easily be blended with water while the regular jaggery needs to be heated and melted before adding to the water. So I recommend the organic version purely to quicken the process.
Makes 6 glasses
WHAT WE NEED
5 cups Water
1 1/4 cup Organic jaggery
1 Lemon, medium size
2-3 tsp Grated ginger
WHAT TO DO
- Take a large vessel and add the water to it
- Add the jaggery and mix it well with water till the jaggery is completely dissolved
- Add the juice of 1 lemon and the grated ginger
- Mix well and refrigerate for 2 hours
- If you want, you can filter out the ginger and serve
- You can use regular jaggery instead of organic. In that case, use only 1 cup. Heat 3 tbsp water in a pan and add the jaggery. Stir till it melts and then add it to the water