I love all breads but I have a special soft corner for stuffed buns and breads. It makes for sumptuous snacks and the possibilities are endless. Stuffed buns are my favorite gateway to finish up leftovers and clear out the refrigerator. Though I did not use leftovers for this one since I had guests over but feel free to go where your imagination takes you.
Why I like this bread?
These stuffed buns are an easy bake with only a single rise needed for the dough. That makes it a comparatively quicker snack. It can be used as a decoy to get kiddos to eat all the veggies they otherwise refuse. Just add some cheese and stuff into these soft buns and life will be so much simpler for you.
For more stuffed buns and breads recipes check out Stuffed & braided Bread, Insalata Caprese Loaf, Stuffed Pain d’Epi and Bread pockets
Recipe adapted from Samayal Samayal by Venkatesh Bhat
Makes 6 stuffed buns
WHAT WE NEED
For the dough
300 gms All purpose flour
4 gms Instant yeast
14 gms Unsalted butter
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
150-160 gms Lukewarm water
For the stuffing
2 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tbsp Cashews, chopped
1 Onion, medium sized, finely chopped
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
3-4 Potatoes, medium sized, boiled & mashed
2 tbsp Fresh coriander, finely chopped
WHAT TO DO
- In a large bowl, mix the all purpose flour, yeast, sugar, salt and butter
- Add around 150 gms of water and knead to form a smooth dough
- If needed, add more water 1 tbsp at a time
- Cover and set aside till double in volume, around 1 hour
- Heat a pan and add oil
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- Once the mustard seeds splutter add the onion and cashews
- When the onion is translucent, add the potatoes, turmeric powder and salt
- Add a little water to get it all together and cook for 3-4 minutes on simmer
- Sprinkle the fresh coriander and set aside to cool
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Divide the dough into 6 parts and roll each part into a ball
- Spread each dough ball into a flat circle with your hands and add some stuffing to it
- Cover the stuffing and pinch to seal and ensure the stuffing does not come out
- Place the stuffed dough balls on a baking tray lined with parchment
- Bake for 12 minutes or till the top is nicely brown
Check out the other bloggers doing this Bake-a-thon
These potato buns are baked, bakery style 🙂 u got me thinking about Bangalore now ..
perfect for snacking or lunch boxes too !
I love stuffed buns… they make a good snack or even good for dinner along with some soup… Just love how good they look…
None will say no to stuffed buns, they just love having buns stuffed with anything. Stuffed buns makes a meal na. And they came out extremely delicious Sowmya.
That’s mashed potato stuffing is so awesome! Buns are looking delicious.
Awesome ! Stuffed buns are one of my favourites ! Potatoes taste the best in these buns , though I have had with chickpeas too .
Awesome Sowmya !
I love stuffed buns too and can have these literally all time..the stuffing can be just about anything right though I would want only savory!..your buns have a great top!
Savory buns are our favorite,look simple and delicious.
The stuffed buns look absolutely yum Sowmya. This one straight out of the oven paired with a cup of coffee will make my day.
I am drooling just thinking of how delicious these stuffed buns must have tasted. Potato filling with cashews sounds absolutely scrumptious.
I love to experiment with stuffed buns. The stuffing you have used sounds delicious. I should try these.
These potato stuffed buns look fabulous. They make a great snack.
YES and YES for the single rise – my kind of faster bread to make – what a treat!
My kidslove these buns that make with jeera aloo kind of filling. Your look so well baked just like the bakery one!! drooling!!!
Beautifully baked buns soumwya. I love these buns. Wish I was your neighbour
beautifully baked buns sowmya! I love stuffed buns, that too savory ones, these would make a delicious combo with some warm soup!
Wow yummy and delicious. Stuffing masala in buns for me is a complete meal in itself. Loved it.
Stuffed masala buns looks absolutely delicious and mouthwatering.