This lovely carrot rice is such a treasure to find. The daughter loves carrots and can have it in any form. So I make this for our lunch and it results in two happy girls. This is a Persian carrot rice and is a little sweet in taste. Sugar is added as also cranberries sometime to give it a sweet flavour. Chicken is also added for the protein content. I replaced the sugar with raisins and the chicken with paneer because I did not want to add sugar when I could avoid it. The result was delicious and such an easy fix for a lazy day. So this dish is on my regular rotation now to make often for weekday lunches for a perfect mother daughter bonding session.
For more carrot recipes check out Honey glazed carrots, Oven roasted carrot soup, Carrot cake and Carrot Salad
WHAT WE NEED
3/4 cup Rice
4 Carrots, medium sized
100 gms Paneer, cubed
1 tsp Oil
1 tbsp Raisins
1 tsp Peppercorns, freshly crushed
2 tsp Milk
Pinch of saffron
WHAT TO DO
- Cook the rice with 1 1/2 cups water and set aside
- Mix the saffron with the milk and set aside
- Heat a pan and add oil
- Add the raisins and fry for a minute and set aside
- Chop the carrots and add it to the same pan
- Fry it for a minute and add some water
- Cover and cook on medium heat till the carrots are soft and tender
- Once the water dries up, add the paneer and let cook for 2 minutes
- Add the rice, salt, peppercorns and saffron
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame
- Serve warm with any raita of your choice
- You can replace the paneer with soya chunks or tofu
- Add curry powder or garam masala for more spice
This is my post for the Biryani / Pulao / Khichadi festival for the alphabet ‘H’
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#99
This is a complete new recipe for me. Thanks for sharing. The vegetarian version sounds delightful.
Carrots and raisins are a combo made in heaven and taste awesome . Like the addition of paneer to the rice , must have tasted real good .
Super lazy day recipe :))
We have a carrot-eager little bunny at home, as well 🙂 she would love this variation .. great pick..
Carrots and paneer makes it an absolutely delicious pulao. And it looks so colourful and pretty. Between, I made your garlic rice today and totally loved it.
Carrots and panner is a unique combo. Sounds delicious
You have Indianized the recipe to suit the palates of kids. Sounds interesting.
Sounds like what my little one would love carrots, paneer and raisins and she is sold 🙂
Sounds like a delicious with all that paneer in it Sowmya!
Love this version.. Carrot and Paneer yummy find.. I shall try with chicken soon!!
This sounds delicious and tempting especially with all that paneer in it! It looks very colourful and pretty! Lovely share
Kid will love this pulao, as it has all there favourite ingredients rice, carrots, raisins and paneer..los super tempting!!