I typically need instant breakfast ideas on a Monday morning. That’s the day we are most likely to oversleep, run around in circles trying to find stuff and that’s the day the daughter decides to wake up earlier than her usual time and demand a fifteen minute cuddle. So instant breakfast for me is what I can get ready between the time the husband wakes up and wears his shoes for going to work.
This is the most wonderful pancake recipe I have ever seen or made. I have tried following the instructions to a T. I have tried all sorts of shortcuts. But the result is a consistent fluffy pancake every single time. Yes, it’s like invincible pancake recipe. It’s like Rajinikanth of Pancake Recipes! Need I say more. You got to try it. A salute to Joanne of Fifteen Spatulas for this recipe.
So here goes – (for 7-8 pancakes)
WHAT WE NEED
Milk 1 cup
Apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp
Whole wheat flour 1 cup
Sugar 1 tbsp
Baking powder 1/2 tsp
Baking soda 1/4 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Melted butter 2 tbsp
Butter for greasing the pan
WHAT TO DO
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the milk and stir it in.
- Leave it aside for 2-3 minutes till it curdles.
- If you need to melt butter, put it in the microwave for 20- 30 seconds
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda
- Add the egg and melted butter to the curdled milk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Small lumps are fine. Just ensure no part of the dough is dry
- Heat a griddle / pan and grease it with butter.
- Pour a ladle full of pancake batter and keep the heat at medium-low.
- Once you see small bubbles appear, (around 2 minutes) carefully flip the pancake with a spatula
- Let it cook for 1-2 minutes on low and then take it off the heat.
- Repeat the same process to make around 8 pancakes with the entire batter.
- Enjoy with honey or preserve of your choice.
On to the ‘jugaad’ or shortcuts I have used with this recipe –
- I have tried it with pasteurised milk and boiled milk, with milk just out of the refrigerator and with milk at room temperature. Pancakes were awesome everytime.
- I have added all the dry ingredients to the wet ones one by one without premixing them together. Recipe still works
- White wine vinegar can be substituted for apple cider vinegar.
- When I was lazy, I omitted the salt but used salted butter instead. Still worked.
- I used 1 1/2 tbsp butter instead of 2 tbsp or sometimes even 2 1/2 tbsp. Works.
This is my post for Blogging Marathon for the theme – Instant Breakfast