While I was baking all those delicious breads last month, I was also feeling very guilty about eating so many breads all at once. That is when I decided to eat salads to kind of compensate for all that wheat. This is one of the lovely salads that I had.
The recipe is from a book ‘Diva Green: a vegetarian cookbook’ by Ritu Dalmia. It is a fun book with recipes divided amongst potatoes, pumpkins, mushrooms, greens, fruits and such others. There are lovely salads, soups and few baked dishes I have marked to try. I will post a few of them as part of my Cooking from Cookbook Challenge this month.
WHAT WE NEED
Baby potatoes, halved 500 gms
Baby onions, peeled 250 gms
Walnuts, roughly chopped 1/2 cup
Butter 25 gms
Brown sugar 1 tsp
Spring onions, chopped 2
Raisins 2 tbsp
Lemon, medium size 1
Salt & pepper
Coriander leaves to garnish
Paneer, crumbled, to garnish
WHAT TO DO
- Soak the raisins in some water for 10 minutes. Drain it and set aside
- Boil the baby potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes and remove with slotted spoon
- In the same water, boil the baby onions for 10 minutes and drain
- In a pan, toast the walnuts for about 5 minutes on medium heat and set aside
- In the same pan, heat the butter and once it melts, add the brown sugar
- When the mixture turns dark, add the potatoes and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes till they are nicely brown
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, onions, spring onions, walnuts and raisins.
- Juice the lemon and mix well
- Season with salt & pepper
- Garnish with crumbled paneer and coriander leaves
This is my post for the Blogging Marathon under the theme, ‘Picnic Dishes’.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#76
This is my entry for the Cooking from Cookbook Challenge hosted by Srivalli.
Nice & easy!
That is really an interesting way to make salad. I love the idea of roasting the veggies in caramel. Looks so yum.
Wow, such an awesome salad, and love the brilliant idea of roasting in caramel, thats seriously fabulous.
That’s a pretty salad… intrigued by the caramelization!
Sounds awesome Sowmya, I had no such guilt feeling heheheh..:)..but this is surely a wonderful one to dig into!
Sowmya looks like I should be your neighbour. I am never going to have to step in the kitchen.
Potato salad sounds yummy. Roasting in Caramelized sugar is quite interesting.
Definitely a must try Salad!!
As far as salads go,that’s an indulgent one. Looks Absolutely delicious!
That is a very interesting potato salad Sowmya. I love caramelized onions in anything and this recipe sounds just too delicious.
Baby potatoes sound like an amazing addition to this salad! Lovely!!