There are days when one craves for the simple, the easy and the yummy, all of which is brought together in a classic tomato soup. In my pre-blogging avatar (which wasn’t too long ago) my recipe for tomato soup was to take off the skin, puree the tomatoes and heat it with some salt and pepper and add croutons, if I was in the mood. I have definitely grown from that and this is already my third tomato soup recipe on the blog. One pat on the back seems deserving, right?
The husband is travelling and the daughter and I are living in a house of boxes. Our shipment has arrived and the unpacking seems to be a never ending process. So this simple soup, which the daughter and I had for dinner today with some bread was filling and easy to make after a tiring day. So here goes –
Recipe adapted from here.
WHAT WE NEED
Tomatoes, medium 5-6
Water enough to soak the tomatoes completely
Olive oil 2 tsp
Garlic 2 cloves
Onion, medium 1
Cream / Milk (optional) 3 tbsp
Water 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
Cornflour 1 tsp
Salt & Pepper
Bread slice 1
Butter to toast the bread slice
WHAT TO DO
- Take enough water to soak all the tomatoes in a large vessel. Add salt and let it come to a boil
- Turn off the heat and add the tomatoes to it. Cover the vessel and set aside for 30 minutes
- Take out the tomatoes from the water and de-skin them
- Deseed the tomatoes, chop them roughly and add them to a blender
- Blend to form a smooth puree
- Heat oil in a saucepan
- Chop the garlic and onion finely and add to the oil
- Once the onion is translucent, add the tomato puree and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil
- Simmer the heat and add the milk / cream and let it cook for 2-3 minutes
- Mix the cornflour in 2 tbsp water and add to the saucepan
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes or till the soup thickens
- Add salt and pepper and mix well
- Turn off the heat
- Cut a bread slice into smaller pieces and toast them on a tava till they are fairly crisp
- Add the croutons (toasted bread pieces) to the soup before serving
This is my post for the September Mega Marathon under the theme – Soups.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68
Soup looks creamy and yummy!! Happy unpacking and setting up the house.
Our favorite soup made at home!! Love the creamy soup.
Comforting bowl of soup. Tomato soup is our most fav and we order it whenever we go to restaurants. Love the crouton floating soup. Looks so yum..
Definitely a pat on the back..good job !..i guess tomato soups are the most popular all over the world and one can make quite a few versions of these.good one dear.
A mug of tomato soup will definitely tickle my tastebuds, how delicious the soup is.
classic soup. Love that bread on top. yummmmm
Anytime favorite! Nothing can beat the comforting flavor of a bowl of tomato soup.
My daughters favourite soup. She will still order tomato soups in restaurants much to my irritation. She will love this one for sure.
Tomato soup is my favorite. Your version looks so pretty!
that u managed to post an entire series of soups in all this unpacking / moving is truly commendable ! we can never have enough of these tomato soups – like archana’s daughters, mine too will order tomato soup first at a restaurant, although the older one is veering towards manchow these days 😀
Really need a pat on your back to decide to do a mega marathon in between moving and unpacking which is a daunting task by itself.
That is one classic soup.
That is such a comforting tomato soup. Good luck with the boxes and settling in Sowmya.
definitely a huge pat on the back!! soup looks yumm and lovvve those croutons!!!
I guess other than sweet corn soup, this is the only one I can manage..you have made it look so pretty!