The protein for today is Asparagus. It is one of the vegetables high in protein. Most of my experience with asparagus is what I have watched on Masterchef Australia. It is one of the vegetables I used to drool over and wonder how it would taste. Asparagus is not very easily available in India. But when I saw that it was rich in proteins I wanted to make at least one dish using asparagus. Luckily, I found a small bunch which did not leave me with too many options for dishes. But I figured a soup always works, especially for me. Then I found this absolutely delightful soup with asparagus and coconut milk and I knew I had to make it.
I added some spring onions in addition to onions and
Protein – Asparagus
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
Asparagus 100 gms
Onion, large 1
Spring onion green 1/2 cup
Oil / unsalted butter 1 tbsp
Pepper, ground 1/2 tsp
Coconut milk 3/4 cup
Vegetable stock 2 – 3 cups
Lemongrass, dried 3 small stalks
Ginger, grated 1 tbsp
Lemon juice 1/4 tsp
WHAT TO DO
- Cut asparagus into 1″ small pieces
- In a pan, heat the oil / butter
- Chop the onions and add it to the pan
- Once it turns translucent add spring onions, lemongrass and ginger
- Cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add asparagus, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat stirring frequently
- Add coconut milk and 2 cups of vegetable stock and cook till the asparagus is tender, about 10 minutes
- Turn off the gas and let it cool for some time
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a blender and blend until smooth
- If the soup is too thick, add 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and cook in the pan for 5 minutes on medium. Else warm the soup for 5 mins in the pan
- Turn off the gas and add lemon juice and garnish with fresh coriander
- Enjoy with some bread
- You can either use fresh or dried lemongrass. If you use dried lemongrass, remove it from the soup before blending it. If using fresh lemongrass, finely chop and add it along with ginger.
This is my post for the Mega Marathon under the theme, ‘Protein Rich Dishes’.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 80
Love that lemon grass and coconut milk combo. Perfect winter recipe.
Coconut milk added to the soup makes it really rich and creamy.. Perfect for a rainy day with some croutons!!
My first taste of asparagus was when my son stir fried it with some butter and garlic. Now I try and use it whenever we get it in season here. Delicious soup. Perfect protein rich soup.
I love asparagus , but unfortunately we find the most pathetic one here , near to dead !
A soup with asparagus sounds delicious , I love its texture and your simple yet neat presentation .
Even I am curious to know how it tastes. We never find it here in Madurai. Guess the soup tasted awesome when paired with coconut milk!
Mmmm we get some asparagus here but the quality is … lesser said the better. This soup will be yum to eat. But how did the lo like it?
You are super lucky to get asparagus in India na and this soup with coconut milk is absolutely irresistible.What a stylish name ‘Thai Scented’.. love it.
Girl, you still have so many soups coming up!..that’s a good one and I am yet to cook with asparagus.
I make asparagus thoran/porial. Talk about adapting the vegetable :-))! Lovely soup and a good combination with coconut milk
Must be a flavorful soup,it got a lovely color.
Asparagus in a soup sounds interesting. Luv this serving
asparagus and broccoli are sold for the price of gold here ! and not enough of them thru the year. However, I am in love with this soup 🙂 brilliant pick !
Lemon grass, asparagus and coconut milk – wow what a combo. I have to go in search for aspapragus here.