When i first made my list of breads for this mega marathon, I took great pains to avoid flatbreads because, in my head, I always liken bread to the rise in the oven mostly overwhelming the loaf pan. But this recipe looked delicious and also, I did not have too many options from T. So I decided to go ahead with it. It was one of the first breads I made for this marathon and it paired beautifully with the dal makhni.
Taftan, taftoon or taftun is a leavened flour bread from Persian, Pakistani and Uttar Pradesh cuisines, baked in a clay oven. This bread is made with milk, yoghurt, and eggs. It is often flavoured with saffron and a small amount of cardamom powder, and may be decorated with seeds such as poppy seeds.
Country – Iran
Makes 8-9 taftans
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
All purpose flour 1 3/4 cups
Sugar 1 tbsp
Instant yeast 1 tbsp
Milk 1 cup
Curd / Yogurt 2 tbsp
Ghee 3 tbsp
Oil 1 tbsp
Caraway / carom seeds To sprinkle
WHAT TO DO
- Sift the flour, add salt, sugar, yeast and yogurt and mix well
- Add 2 tbsp of ghee and knead into a dough by slowly adding milk. You may not need the entire milk. Add 3/4 cup first and then add 1 tbsp at a time to get a soft elastic dough
- Cover and set aside the dough in a greased bowl till doubles in volume, about an hour
- Preheat the oven at 200C
- Brush the oil over the dough and divide it into 8-9 pieces
- Roll out each dough piece into a circle which is thicker at the edges
- Make indents / grooves on the dough with your fingertips
- Grease a baking tray and place 1-2 rolled out dough on the baking tray
- Sprinkle the top with caraway seeds / carom seeds
- Bake for 7-8 minutes and spread some ghee on the taftan and bake again for another 7-8 minutes or till it starts turning golden brown
- Repeat the same procedure till all the taftans are baked
- Enjoy with dal or curry of your choice!
- These taftans can also be cooked on the tava like a regular roti but it takes 6-8 minutes per taftan.
This is my post for the Mega Marathon under the letter ‘T’.