There are reasons why some dishes are termed classic. My theory is that they are classic because they are simple to make yet taste like the food for the Gods and can be made by novices like me too. One such is, of course, a sweet corn soup. I have had it countless times in restaurants because it was one of the top three most popular soups along with tomato and spinach. I was tired of tomato soup and spinach to a ten year old me was ughhh. Plus this one is my dad’s favorite and so we used to split one between us like a typical middle class family.
I didn’t realise that it was so simple to make and i never thought this would get the stamp of approval from my husband and daughter. Classic, I tell you! If you have cooked corn readily available then this hardly takes about ten minutes to make which is perfect for a hungry family.
Recipe adapted from here.
WHAT WE NEED
Sweet corn 150 gms
Olive oil 2 tsp
Spring onion 2 tbsp + for garnish
Corn flour 2 tsp
Water 2 tbsp + for grinding corn
Vegetable stock 2 cups
Salt & Pepper
WHAT TO DO
- Boil the corn till it is completely cooked. If you are using a corn cob – boil it and then scrap the kernels from the cob. Set aside about 2 tbsp corn kernels
- Take the remaining kernels and grind them into a smooth paste using little water
- Heat oil and add the spring onions
- Fry till the spring onions are transparent
- Add the corn paste and mix well.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring it to a boil
- Simmer and add the whole corn kernels, salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Mix the corn flour in 2 tbsp water to form a paste
- Add the paste and simmer for 3-4 minutes or till the soup thickens and the corn flour is cooked
- Turn off the heat
- Garnish with spring onions
This is my post for the September Mega Marathon under the theme – Soups.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68
Sweet corn soup is one of our fav soup too. Yours looks so creamy and delicious..
Looks very creamy and yumm.
My favorite and always order whenever in mood for soup.
Classic soup. Perfect and looks creamy.
I love sweet corn soup! Looks yummy.
The soup looks too good and the clicks are absolutely fantastic.
Lipsmacking here, wat a comforting and super delicious soup, loving it.
I know what you mean. We are intimidated by the big names and then we realise it was so simple. Love sweet corn soup. I wish you were next door so I could come in and guzzle some soup to settle my sore thoat.
Lip-smacking good! I m having a lot of salads and soup recipes to try after this BM series!!!
This is one of my favorite recipe. Lovely pick!
classic indeed 🙂 we love it too ! liked the garnish of spring onions 🙂
Simple yet yummy one.
Oh I love sweet corn soup too. I only order this the times I ever order a soup. So nice ur version got approval.
It sure is a classic Sowmya. Sweet corn soup looks sooooo delicious.
beautiful creamy soup….i like this texture better than the eggy loooking street version