I finally found these large eggplants which are such a rarity here. We only get the smaller ones which are not the best for baba ghanoush or sutta kathrikai (South Indian brinjal delicacy).
After satisfying ourselves on both those counts, I still had one large eggplant left and was looking for a quick and easy bake. Voila!
This recipe is super easy and gets you a dish with almost zero effort. And it’s tasty and not really unhealthy. So yay on all fronts.
I found this recipe here and am I excited or what!
So here goes –
WHAT WE NEED
Olive oil 2-3 tbsp
Garlic cloves 2 large or 3 medium
Juice of 1 medium sized lemon
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Cut the eggplant vertically into 2 halves
- Slit the flesh with a knife but don’t cut it all the way through.
- Apply 1 tbsp oil on the flesh side and use your fingers to get the oil into the slits.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on it.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Grind the garlic cloves, 1 tbsp oil and lemon juice to make a sauce.
- Once you take the eggplant out of the oven the slots would have spread open making it easy to apply the sauce all over.
- Sprinkle some more salt and pepper ensuring they are sprinkled into the slits as well.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- It is essential to ensure the sauce and salt are generously added to reach the inside layers of the eggplant else the taste will not shine through even though it will be fully cooked.
This is part of the