Mega BM is finally here! I wanted to participate in April but I couldn’t. So I was all excited and pumped up for this one. Only, I did not get enough time for preparing all the dishes and being ready for it. But, what is life without a challenge, right?
As I said, my theme perfectly reflects my current situation. I am behind on so many things, my to-do list extends endlessly, it is an absolute mayhem and I feel like I am in a soup. Hence, soup shall be the theme of the month and we are going to have 26 soups.
Soup is my favorite kind of meal because it is usually easy to make and very wholesome. But things are not perfect ever and so the husband is an antagonist to my soup strategy. Else, we would live on bowls of soup forever and ever.
I thought to start the marathon with the ever popular tomato soup but this one is elevated to a different level thanks to oven roasted tomatoes and some ciabatta in it. Simply bliss. So here goes –
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
Garlic 4 pods
Onion, large 1
Tomatoes, large 6
Dried oregano a pinch
Vegetable stock 300ml
Ciabatta loaf 100 gm
Olive oil 1 1/2 tbsp
Vinegar a splash
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Cut the tomatoes into halves, onions into 3 cm wedges and place them on the oven tray
- Add the garlic pods with skin, drizzle some olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Roast them in the oven for 30 minutes or till the tomatoes are soft and sticky
- Empty the tray into a saucepan and add the vegetable stock
- Mix well and put the saucepan on heat.
- Tear and add the ciabatta loaf into the soup and bring to boil
- Then simmer for 10 minutes and turn off the heat
- Add a splash of the vinegar and blend till smooth
- Enjoy with some toasted bread!
- Ciabatta works best for this recipe but it can be replaced with any other bread too
- The tomatoes will be very sticky and the oven tray would need some scrapping in order to get everything out. But this roasting enhances the taste of the soup significantly.
PIN IT FOR LATER
We are cooking and blogging all of September for the Mega Blogging Marathon. This is my dish under the theme ‘Soup’.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68