I tried quite a bit but could not get a yeast bread with Q or maybe I didn’t look hard enough. So I decided to do a bit of ‘jugaad’ / compromise and do a Quick Bread from Q.
Quick bread is any bread leavened with leavening agents other than yeast or eggs. They can be prepared quickly without requiring the time-consuming skilled labor and the climate control needed for traditional yeast breads. Quick breads include many cakes, brownies and cookies—as well as banana bread, beer bread, biscuits, cornbread, muffins, pancakes, scones, and soda bread.
Since I have done quite a few quick breads in the past like banana bread, muffins, pancakes, etc. I wanted something a little different. Coincidentally the husband had to make a sudden business trip to Mumbai and my brother is forever asking me to send him some breads. Since the husband had to travel right on time for my brother’s birthday, I simply had to send him a loaf. Due to lack of time, I figured the quick bread would be the best option to send my brother a loaf plus cross off an item on my mega marathon list. That is when I came across the beer and cheese bread. Voila! That would be perfect for my beer loving brother and finally may entice my husband to like bread too!
Country – USA
Makes one 8″ loaf
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
All purpose flour 1 cup
Baking powder 1 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp heaped
Garlic powder 1/2 tsp
Sugar 2 tsp
Cheddar cheese, grated 1/2 cup
Beer 120 ml
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 175C
- Grease a loaf pan well
- Mix all the ingredients, except beer in a large bowl
- Add the beer and mix to combine
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan
- Bake for 40 minutes or till the toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes
- Unmould and cool for 10 minutes before slicing
- You will enjoy the bread only if you are a beer lover, else you will find it a little bitter
- I used Hieneken beer. You can use any brand you like
- I wanted a golden brown top and so I ‘broiled’ it for 2 minutes at the end just for the colour
This is my post for the mega marathon under the letter ‘Q’.