I just finished a mega marathon of Protein Rich Dishes but I am clearly not over it. My theme for today is ‘Dishes from the Caribbean’ and what do I pick? Another protein packed dish. This one is so simple and delicious, not to mention easy to make with most ingredients readily available in your kitchen. It is a breakfast dish but I had it for lunch and felt content for the next 4-5 hours. This is surely getting into my breakfast roster.
This peanut porridge is popular across all of the Caribbean. It started out as street food and is very popular with vegetarians. It has now gained popularity at restaurants with locals and tourists alike. There are different versions to make it – with condensed milk, evaporated milk or coconut milk.
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
Quick cooking Oats 1/2 cup
Raw peanuts 1/2 cup
Wheat flour 2 tsp
Cornmeal 1 tbsp
Condensed milk 2-3 tbsp
Ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp
Ground nutmeg 1/2 tsp
Water 1 1/2 – 2 cups
A pinch of Salt
WHAT TO DO
- Heat 1 cup of water with a pinch of salt
- Grind the peanuts in to a fine powder and set aside
- Grind the oats into a fine powder
- Mix the ground oats and peanuts in a bowl
- Add the cornmeal and wheat flour and mix well
- Add 1 cup of water and stir to form a smooth paste
- Pour this paste into the boiling water and mix well to ensure there are no lumps
- Simmer and let it cook covered for 6-7 minutes
- Stir frequently to avoid the porridge sticking to the base of the vessel
- Add the condensed milk, nutmeg and cinnamon
- Mix and simmer for 2 minutes
- Serve warm with some fruits for a wholesome tasty breakfast
- If you only want a mild sweetness to your porridge, add 2 tbsp of condensed milk else add 3 tbsp
- The porridge will be slightly runny immediately after cooking but will thicken when let to cool
- You can replace the water with part milk
This is my post for the Blogging Marathon under the theme, ‘Dishes from the Carribean’.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM
This looks so interesting and the dish would pack a protein punch for breakfast to get through the whole day. Love your presentation!
Wow Sowmya, that porridge surely sounds amazing..very nicely presented as well!
That sounds like dessert for breakfast! Very interesting recipe…
Ok this one is done in my kitchen asap. Sound delicious and right now I will like something that allows me to sit down and not go in the kitchen a hunting.
Wow this one looks amazing and protein packed. Yumm
Such a wholesome porridge, and am sure this is definitely a filling meal.
I was supposed to take some mixed nuts and dry fruit mixture for prasadam during navaratri. I already had peanuts but forgot and bought more. So now I have so many peanuts. Going to grind some and use it up in the porridge we have everyday. Healthy breakfast recipe.
Oats is my everyday breakfast. This would be a lovely variation.
Beautifully presented , loving those ruby pearls ! In fact the whole bowl is super tempting !
Such a lovely porridge bowl.. Love it for breakfast!!
in the Caribbean we make porridge with any kind of grain/root vegetable. This is one I have yet to eat but I am sure I would love it!
That is one filling meal and an awesome breakfast to start the day! Love the way you have presented it! 😍
am yet to introduce sweet oats for breakfast – but this is a lovely healthy bowl !