This is the first post for 2018 and I wanted it be a bread. This week I am posting three recipes for the New Year Challenge in which we post dishes that reflect our goals and resolutions for this year. Mine have to revolve around bread. So I will be posting three posts related to bread.
One of my resolutions has been to completely stop buying bread from the store. I have reached closer to that goal in the past six months. Now the husband and daughter have become more discerning and want variety in the bread though they were content with the same store bread for all these years. So I tried this wheat bran and ground flaxseed bread which has an amazing texture in the crumb and crust.
Adapted from here
Makes one 9″ loaf
WHAT WE NEED
370 gms All purpose flour
25 gms Ground flaxseeds
10 gms Wheat bran
1 tsp Instant yeast
1 tsp Salt
300 gms Warm water
1 tsp Oil
WHAT TO DO
- Mix all the ingredients together and form a wet dough
- Cover and let it rest for an hour
- Stretch and fold the dough on all sides and place it in the bowl seamside down
- Cover and let it rise to double in volume which should take around 3-4 hours depending on the weather
- Fold the dough over itself and let it rise again for 1-2 hours till you see it start rising again and increasing in volume
- Take a Pullman loaf tin and grease the tin and cover with oil or butter
- Take out the dough and shape it into a log
- Transfer it to the loaf tin and cover with a cling wrap
- Let it rise till the dough reaches nearly the top of the loaf tin which should take around 2-3 hours
- Preheat the oven at 250C
- Cover the tin with its lid and bake at 230C for 30 minutes
- Reduce the temperature to 220C and bake for 15 minutes
- Take out the pan and unmould the loaf from the tin
- Let it cool completely on the wire rack before slicing it
- If you want to eat the bread as is without any butter, etc. then add another 1/2 tsp salt
- In hindsight I thought a darker colour on the crust would have been nicer. Maybe another 3-4 minutes in the oven would have achieved that
This is my post for the Blogging Marathon under the theme, ‘New Year Challenges’.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM
Wish I was part of that bread sharing bond sowmya, would have loved to taste this bread..looks so good!
I really should make a resolution to make bread more often at home. This one looks so good Sowmya.
Thats an amazing resolution Sowmya, wish i could have few slices of this bread with some butter. Beautiful loaf there.
That is a good resolution. I don’t bake bread that often at home but when I do, I love it. Bread has a nice texture.
I too am hoping to bake bread more often this year. Somehow, it is the convenience of picking it up off a shelf that tends to deter me from this goal. Your bread has come out really well.
Sowmya, that is a great recipe. I was looking for a recipe to use with my pullman pan and this is perfect. Love wheat bran in bread and flax seeds are a bonus. I am definitely trying this soon.
this warm bread, and some slather of butter.. oh yum.. its close to midnight here, but wudnt mind that toasted bread for a snack now.. well done 🙂
That bread looks fantastic but I don’t think I can totally eliminate store bought bread at home 🙂
oh wow – what an awesome texture with all the air pockets!
That’s a great resolve to bake homemade bread Sowmya. This bread with flaxseeds looks great.
Baking is one thing that I am never comfortable with. Wish to bake these beautiful loaf one day! The bread looks awesome.