If you want to make anything delicious, I suggest you roast it in the oven. Tomatoes, yes…onions, yes….carrots, yes….sweet potato, yes….garlic ,yes. I think I have made my case. Roasting in the oven gives the dish a lovely aroma and an explosion of flavours that are otherwise not unearthed. I know I have two more carrot soups on my blog (here and here) but do you really believe there is a finite number of carrot soups in the world? Like I said before, carrots are able to marry any other vegetable easily and so the flavours to be explored multiply exponentially. Carrot’s natural sweetness can be balanced with any spicy flavouring and result in a magical soup. So try this one too and raise your glass to the humble carrot.
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
3 medium to large carrots
1 medium sized onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp curds / yogurt
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots
- Roughly chop the onion
- Add the garlic, olive oil, cumin, pepper and some salt and mix well
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes till they start turning brown
- Turn the tray once during the roasting to ensure equal roasting on all sides
- Take out the baking tray and cool slightly
- In the meanwhile, soak the tomatoes in hot water for 10-15 minutes
- Peel the skin, deseed the tomatoes and purée it
- Add the roasted vegetables to a mixer / food processor and blend to a smooth mix
- Add the purred vegetables and the tomato purée to a pot and mix well
- Stir in the yogurt and adjust for salt
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes or so till it is hot
- Serve hot
This is my post for the Blogging Marathon under the theme, ‘One vegetable three ways’.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM
Oven roasting ups the flavour of veggies a lot. This carrot soup must be amazing because of the roasting. Such a comforting bowl of delicious soup!
I am too lazy to fire up the oven. I usually just roast on stove top. Will try oven roasting, next time I make veggie soup
love ur recipe……..will definitely give it a shot! iv been too lazy to roast my veggies for soup!lol
Love the flavor of oven roasted vegetable soup. Carrot soup looks fabulous and quite filling as well.
I know you are a pro at soups , roasting imparts a special flavor to the soup , very well made , excellent soup .
That’s nice to know about oven roasted Sowmya, the soup looks excellent and must have been so good!
Guess, the roasting carrot gives nice aroma to the soup. It looks so good and the color on the soup is very appealing.
I am so making this soup soon. Oven roasting definitely ups the flavor quotient.
I can vouch for this soup… anything roasted in the oven makes amazing soup! That bowl looks so comforting…
Roasting, sure makes veggie taste irresistible. I love snacking on roasted veggies 🙂
This roasted carrot soup looks very creamy and delicious.
Love oven roasted vegetables. Lovely flavor and beautiful color.
There is something about roasted vegetables and even the soup with smoky veggies taste more deliicous.
love the creamy texture of the soup
Love this rich and creamy soup.