Our love affair with Nutella is going strong. Today I decided to up the ante a little and bake something with Nutella. I finally picked some strawberries which were enticing me from atop the fruit counter in the local supermarket for quite some time. The daughter has been seeing strawberries only in her picture book and so was delighted when she could actually touch one. Simple pleasures!
I got this amazing recipe and decided to go for it. So here’s how we did it –
WHAT WE NEED ( for 10-12 pies)
For the dough:
1 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup cold sour cream
For the filling:
1/3 cup Nutella
1 cup diced strawberries
1 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 tbsp milk
WHAT TO DO
- To make the dough whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add the cubed butter to the bowl and use your fingers to work the butter into the flour until the mixture is the consistency of wet sand.
- Stir in the sour cream and then turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface.
- Knead the dough a few times until it comes together. Roll the dough into a rectangle and dust both sides with flour before folding it into thirds
- Rotate the dough 90º and roll it out again into a rectangle. Fold the dough again into thirds then wrap it securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for an hour.
- For the filling, combine the diced strawberries with the flour, tossing to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and unfold it onto a well-floured surface, rolling it out to a large square
- Using a 3-inch circular cookie cutter or cup, cut out as many circles as possible. Re-roll the scraps and continue cutting out circles until you run out of dough, ensuring you end up with an even number of circles.
- Place six of the dough circles on a cookie sheet or baking tray. Spread a portion of the Nutella in the centers of half of the dough circles leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edges. Spoon a small portion of the strawberries atop the Nutella. Place a second dough circle atop each filled circle then use a fork to stick the edges together, sealing each pie.
- Brush each pie with the milk, and poke a few holes with a fork on the top of each pie.
- Repeat the filling and baking process with the remaining dough circles
- Bake the pies for about 12-14 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
- Remove the pies from the oven and allow them to rest for 10 minutes before serving. .
- If the dough is too firm to work with after refrigerating, allow it to sit at room temperature for 5-7 minutes before cutting out the circular shapes.
- You can also use egg wash instead of the milk to brush on the pies
This is my entry for Blogging Marathon 55 under Nutella Galore!
Check out what my fellow marathoners are cooking up for #BM55