My second recipe with vegetable sources of protein is this simple mushroom and egg rice. Mushroom is one of the veggies to be high on protein. But like I mentioned yesterday, most of my recipes for this week has an additional protein source to truly qualify as a ‘protein rich’ dish.
This dish is one of my go-to mixed rice variations. Usually I toss in whatever vegetables I have on hand and name the dish later. I usually make it when I have just shopped for the week’s vegetables and so I would be able to spare a little of everything or the day before vegetable shopping when I have bits and pieces of everything. The mushroom and egg can be replaced with any vegetable of your choice. Carrots, peas, corn, mint, baby corn are all good options.
Protein – Mushroom and Egg
WHAT WE NEED
Basmati Rice 1 cup
Button mushrooms 150 gms
Oil 2-3 tsp
Star anise 1
Garlic cloves 3
Red chilly powder 1/2 tsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
WHAT TO DO
- Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for half hour
- Drain and cook it in a pan with 4 cups of water
- Once the rice has been cooked, drain the water and pass the rice through running water to stop cooking. Set it aside
- Chop the mushrooms and set aside
- In a pan, heat the oil
- Add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and star anise
- After a minute, finely chop and add the garlic cloves
- Once the garlic starts turning brown, add the red chilly powder and chopped mushrooms
- Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes on low
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and pour it in the pan
- After a minute, stir the eggs to scramble it and let it cook for 2-3 minutes
- Ensure any water from the mushroom has been fully absorbed before adding the rice
- Add the rice, garam masala and salt and mix well
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Enjoy with raita or chips of your choice!
This is my post for the Mega Marathon under the theme, ‘Protein Rich Dishes’.