My second recipe with vegetable sources of protein is this simple mushroom and egg rice. Mushroom is one of the veggies to be high on protein. But like I mentioned yesterday, most of my recipes for this week has an additional protein source to truly qualify as a ‘protein rich’ dish.
This dish is one of my go-to mixed rice variations. Usually I toss in whatever vegetables I have on hand and name the dish later. I usually make it when I have just shopped for the week’s vegetables and so I would be able to spare a little of everything or the day before vegetable shopping when I have bits and pieces of everything. The mushroom and egg can be replaced with any vegetable of your choice. Carrots, peas, corn, mint, baby corn are all good options.
Protein – Mushroom and Egg
WHAT WE NEED
Basmati Rice 1 cup
Button mushrooms 150 gms
Oil 2-3 tsp
Star anise 1
Garlic cloves 3
Red chilly powder 1/2 tsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
WHAT TO DO
- Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for half hour
- Drain and cook it in a pan with 4 cups of water
- Once the rice has been cooked, drain the water and pass the rice through running water to stop cooking. Set it aside
- Chop the mushrooms and set aside
- In a pan, heat the oil
- Add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and star anise
- After a minute, finely chop and add the garlic cloves
- Once the garlic starts turning brown, add the red chilly powder and chopped mushrooms
- Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes on low
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and pour it in the pan
- After a minute, stir the eggs to scramble it and let it cook for 2-3 minutes
- Ensure any water from the mushroom has been fully absorbed before adding the rice
- Add the rice, garam masala and salt and mix well
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Enjoy with raita or chips of your choice!
This is my post for the Mega Marathon under the theme, ‘Protein Rich Dishes’.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 80
Sounds like such an inviting rice Sowmya..good to have such recipes that work out well..
treat for mushroom lovers ! my kids are yet to warm up to mushroom :-))
This is a complete protein rich meal with eggs and mushrooms. Even I don’t have set rules when I am in kitchen. Sometimes when my daughter asks for a name, I name the dish for her sake. 🙂
I often make mushroom rice minus eggs but as you made it purely protein rich, the dish completely justifies the same.
Mushrooms and egg pair well with rice. It’s one of the combinations that my son eats without much fuss. Thanks for the lunch idea for tomorrow:-)
Egg and Mushroom makes a yummy rice.. Perfect for a lunch box!My favorite combo..
That’s one protein loaded bowl with both mushrooms and egg. A balanced meal for sure.
Delicious combo. My girls will love this. In fact I do have a few mushrooms that need to be finished.Thank you for another eye opener.
this is so inviting. A instant protein rich recipe.
That bowl looks fantastic ! Beautifully captured , somehow your clicks are always awesome , yes even the rice is excellent .
Mushroom rice is my favorite. You’ve added eggs too, good idea to make it more protein rich.
Love this kind of simple and healthy rice, excellent way to sneak mushrooms, prefect rich dish to pack in lunchbox na.
This seems to be a very filling lunchbox recipe. Loved it.