Moong dal halwa is one of my favorite sweets. This time I decided to replace sugar with jaggery to give it a healthier twist.
But I ran out of sugar as well as jaggery and so I picked the palm sugar that was waiting to be experimented with for almost 2 months. Palm sugar is healthier than regular refined sugar and supposed to be good alternative for diabetes patients.
So here goes –
Recipe adapted from here.
WHAT WE NEED
Split moong dal / yellow lentil 1 cup
Water 1 cup
Coconut Palm sugar 1 cup
Ghee / clarified butter 1 1/2 tbsp
Cashewnuts, broken 10
WHAT TO DO
- Soak the dal in water for 4 hours
- Then pressure cook it using 1 cup of water. Once done, mash it and keep aside
- Heat 1/2 tbsp ghee and fry the cashewnuts. Keep aside
- Heat the palm sugar
- Once the palm sugar is completely melted and starts thickening, add the mashed da and mix well.
- Keep stirring regularly and let the mixture thicken.
- Once most of the water in the mixture evaporates, add the ghee.
- When the ghee starts leaving the sides of the pan, add the cashewnuts and switch off the flame.
This is my post for th Blogging Marathon under Indian Sweets.