Like I said in my previous post, only when you have an ingredient in excess with a limited shelf life, you realize there are so many dishes that can be made with it. My next discovery with mint was the mint flavoured bread with olives in it. It is surely a must try for all bread aficionados. I couldn’t finish my mint leaf bunch even then and so I went back to my mint mainstay and made a soup of the rest. Phew!
Baking your own bread is a luxury and a blessing. You can have any flavour you choose, you can have it fresh from the oven and you can not only enjoy the taste but also the wonderful smell of freshly baked bread which lasts for a couple of hours enlivening everything and putting a smile on your face and drool on your lips. Pick your favorite book and a slice of this bread and have a luxurious day set for you.
Recipe adapted from here
Makes one 7″ loaf
WHAT WE NEED
Pitted and chopped olives 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
All purpose flour 1 1/4 cup
Baking powder 1 1/2 tbsp
Sugar 1 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
Fresh mint leaves, chopped 1/4 cup
Olive oil 4 tsp
Grated onion 1/4 cup
Milk 1/3 cup
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 175C
- Grease a loaf pan and line it with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
- Add the olives and mint and toss together
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the oil, onion and milk to it and mix well
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix well till the ingredients are just combined
- Transfer the dough to the loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or till the tester comes out clean
- Take the loaf out of the oven and transfer it to a wire rack to cool
- Serve with a bowl of soup
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2016
This is my post for the Blogging Marathon under the theme – One ingredient three dishes.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for other marathoners doing this BM.
wow interesting bread recipe with mint. Very nice. Bookmarking will try it out.
That bread surely looks amazing Sowmya..very soft and inviting..enjoyed your mint series..hope your vegetable vendor comes up with more such fresh produce!
Mint flavor in the bread sound interesting…Must try it.
lovely flavor ! looks amazing!
Bread looks amazing
Can smell the flavor of this bread, ultimate.
Interesting and flavorful bread.
Very flavorful and delicious looking quick bread.