If I ever get into a situation where I can have only one flavour to cook with, I would take ginger. It’s simply my favourite ingredient and finds its way into almost all my dishes.
Today’s soup is a delectable combination of lentils, ginger and vegetables. My guess is this recipe should work with most vegetables though I went for the classic onion, spring onion and carrot. Cabbage or cauliflower or broccoli should also provide interesting flavours. So here goes –
Recipe adapted from here.
WHAT WE NEED
Onion, large 1
Spring onion 1 small bunch
Carrot, small 2-3
Garlic 3 pods
Ginger 1 tsp
Red lentils 120 gms
Olive oil 2 tsp
Vegetable stock 3 cups
Salt & pepper
WHAT TO DO
- Heat the oil and add ginger and garlic
- Cut the onion, Spring onion and carrot and add to the oil
- Save some Spring onion for garnish
- Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the lentils and cook for a minute or so
- Add the stock and salt and cover to cook
- Once it starts boiling, simmer for 10 minutes
- Turn off the heat once the lentils are completely cooked
- Purée the mixture to a smooth soup
- Season with pepper or other dried herbs
- Garnish with Spring onion
- If you are not keen on making a smooth puréed soup, you can simply mash the lentils and have the soup. If you want to do that, ensure you cut the carrots and onions finely. Else, you can cut them into medium sized cubes.
This is my post for the September Cooking Carnival under the theme – Soups.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68
Will definitely please everyone’s tastebuds, comforting bowl of soup.
Even I love and add it to almost everything I cook, specially non veg recipes. Soup is creamy and looks filling.
That is a very creamy soup. Looks absolutely inviting..
That’s sounds like a inviting soup..
Love lentil soup with the ginger in it. Very comforting!
Sorry if you put me in that situation I would prefer garlic..lol..anyway this soup looks so filling!
love this combo. yummy and healthy soup.. I love the way you served. amazing colors
That’s a great one pot meal especially for dinner. It’s hearty and filling with lentils and veggies.
A comforting bowl of goodness.
Lentil soup looks so hearty and flavorful.
Delicious and yum. I think I am going to end up with just these words as my comment as we love soups and this is an excellent way of getting lentils in my kids.
Looks tell that the soup must be quite filling and tasty
That’s one colorful and filling soup besides being nutritious.
Colorful and filling soup.
Such a filling and flavorful soup you got there!!
Looks very comforting and rustic..great series on soups.
you sound like my husband – he adds ginger in most of things he makes at home : from mocktail to smoothies to desserts to even rasam :)) loved the colour and texture of the soup here
That is such a creamy and colorful soup.