The third and final dish of the Lebanese cuisine theme is Labneh which stands testimony to the fact that not all awesome dishes need to have a tough recipe. Labneh is seen as Lebanese cream cheese and is just as thick and creamy. And all you need to make yourself a batch of labneh is patience – lots of it. This is a no cook recipe and so it is very easy. But if you need a batch of labneh today, you need to have started making it two days ago. Yes, it takes that long but we know it is quite worth the wait.
Makes one bowl of labneh
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
Greek yogurt / thick curds 500gms
Fresh lemon juice 1/4 tsp
Salt a pinch
Zaatar powder 1 tbsp
Olive oil 2-3 tbsp
WHAT TO DO
- Take a cheesecloth and line it over a bowl
- In another bowl, mix the yogurt, lemon juice and salt
- Transfer the yogurt mixture onto the cheesecloth
- Tie up the cheesecloth over a ladle or large spoon such that the cheesecloth does not touch the bottom of the bowl similar to how it is done to obtain hung curd
- This ensures that the whey drained from the yogurt will not find its way back into the cheesecloth
- Keep the yogurt with the bowl in the refrigerator for around 24 hours
- After 12 hours, check the bowl and pour the whey out of the bowl
- After 24 hours, transfer the hung curd mixture to a bowl
- Add the olive oil and zaatar powder
- Serve cold with vegetable slices or warm pita bread
This is my post for the Blogging Marathon under the theme, ‘Lebanese cuisine’.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM
Yeah, it indeed is a very simple recipe…worth that wait
Now I can survive on this for a day..I simply love it and make it very often, but I have yet to try zaatar and Lebneh. I have always used different herbs and spices.good one.
the best part is it is a no cook recipe. Simply can make in minutes and enjoy
A good dip to have with so many things. I can eat this everyday.
Olive oil and zataar in hung curd sounds delicious. Enjoyed all the dishes in your series.
Simply drooling over the labneh.. Lovely recipe.. Gotta try it out!!
I have made labneh but addition of zaatar must make it so full of flavour. Loved all the three dishes this week.
I love that spread in the final pic. I have bookmarked this dish but never got around to preparing this!!
I tried it once and wasnt a fan but I also dont like cream cheese except in cheesecake so…