I know…I name my blog as ‘Bread Therapy’ and then don’t post any bread recipes. Stupid, eh?
So this one is my first own recipe…a one that I came up with! Yay!
I did bake banana bread from few other websites, mostly this one. I wanted a no egg no baking powder banana bread recipe because all I had with me was some all purpose flour and few overripe bananas. This recipe is easy and very tasty.
But after making it a few times, I started thinking on how I could try to make it a little bit healthier. I wanted to reduce the butter and sugar. I thought that substituting oil would help replacing butter while a little honey with the natural sweetness of the bananas should take care of the sweet part. Also I thought of adding egg which would substitute the sugar’s function of giving the bread structure.
So I came up with this one-
3/4 cup All purpose flour
1/4 cup Whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 cup oil (I used sunflower oil)
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
4 medium sized bananas
1. Preheat the oven to 175 C and grease the bottom of a pan
2. Mash the bananas thoroughly and keep aside
3. Beat the egg lightly and keep aside
4. Mix the flours, salt, baking soda and cinnamon powder together
5. Add oil and honey to the flour mix and blend well
6. Add the egg to the mixture and blend well
7. Add the bananas to the mix
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes till the toothpick comes clean
1. This recipe is work in progress.
2. It was airy and not dense. It coloured well. The texture seemed good.
3. I think it needs more salt – maybe 1tsp
4. It could use some flavour – could make it sweet with figs / dates
5. The batter seemed a little dry. The bread also was dry the next day. Maybe increasing the oil to 1/6 cup would solve this.
6. I beat it with a hand whisk. Maybe a hand blender would have given it a better consistency.
Will keep updating this…. If you try any variation of this, do let me know…