This recipe is probably one of the best things that happened to me. Really! One, it is a healthy way to use up the overripe bananas instead of drowning them in butter and sugar to make banana bread. I know, they taste heavenly but I have overripe bananas on a weekly basis. Soooo not happening. And secondly, I hate oatmeal. Yeah, I know it’s healthy, etc etc. but I just can’t eat it. There is this constant inner conflict I face between wanting to make oatmeal because it’s a 30 second job versus having to actually eat it.
So this dish solves both my problems and makes breakfast blissful. Now that’s something to get up to even on a Monday morning.
It’s an easy recipe with most ingredients being available at home all the time. It’s actually perfect for someone to mix this up and put it in the oven and go off to get ready for work. It will be waiting for you and you can eat and rush to work.
The recipe is adapted from here with a few modifications. So here goes –
WHAT WE NEED
Mashed banana 1 medium
Milk 1 cup
Vanilla essence 1 tsp
Rolled oats 1 1/2 cups
Baking powder 1 tsp
Pinch of Salt
Cinnamon 1/2 tsp
Banana, cut into slices 1
Dried prunes 7-8
Brown sugar 2 tbsp
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 190C
- Line an 8″ pan with parchment paper
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl – mashed banana, egg, vanilla and milk
- Add the dry ingredients – oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and 1 tbsp sugar
- Mix well to combine
- Place few banana slices at the bottom of the pan
- Pour the batter into the pan
- Arrange the balance banana slices and prunes on top of the batter.
- Bake for 26 minutes.
- Pull out the pan and sprinkle the balance 1 tbsp sugar on top.
- Broil for 5 minutes till the sugar caramelizes.
- Take the pan out and cool for 10 minutes
- Lift the parchment paper out of the pan and place it on a cutting board.
- Slice the oats and serve.
- The prunes and sliced bananas are optional and can be replaced with raisins, dried apricots, walnuts, etc.
This is part of the
Very delicious bake.Looks nice
Sounds interesting, nice way to enjoy oats..
Very interesting recipe!! Looks so delicious and healthy!
Quite an interesting and healthy baked oats and banana, prefect way to enjoy the goodness of oats.
this looks scrumptious – what a unique presentation of the ingredients
That is such an amazing baked dish.
I kind of got used to oatmeal. I do not love it but do not mind it at all. I do love oatmeal in baked though. This is s nice way to use up overripe bananas.
Sounds like a wonderful dish to put together!…