I am not a huge fan of cooking fruits preferring to have them raw as they are supposed to be. But sometimes exceptions need to be made, especially when you have a beautiful symphony of apples with tomatoes, gooseberry and carrots topped generously with almonds. Exception accepted.
I had a couple of apples sitting on the counter top for 4 days without the daughter or me going anywhere near it. Usually it is the husband who cores and slices the apples for us. With him travelling, I kept postponing it till such time the apple threatened to decay. With me in a soup daily, I figured I could soup the apples without too much effort. Voila! I must admit I was surprised at how tasty and flavorful the soup turned out. Do try it –
Recipe adapted from here.
WHAT WE NEED
Tomato, medium 1
Carrot, medium 1
Cinnamon 1/2 tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Fresh cream 1/4 cup
WHAT TO DO
- Blanch the almonds and peel the skin
- Cut 4 of the almonds into slivers and set aside
- Core and cut the apples into quarters
- Cut the tomatoes and gooseberries.
- Peel and cut the carrots
- Take all the above in a vessel and pressure cook with 1 1/2 cups of water for 4 whistles
- Once the steam escapes, take them out and cool
- Once cooled, blend them along with 4 almonds to a smooth puree
- Take the puree in a saucepan and add 1 cup water
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Add sugar, salt, cinnamon and fresh cream and simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Garnish with almond slivers